Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Arrival at the Fort - Unlocking the Past



I arrived on my own at the Fort very early on Wednesday afternoon and wandered down to the beach to explore. There were windswept vistas and raggedy trees. I ambled into the very deserted old bunkers with my camera. This was a contemplative visit for me, as I had so many memories of being here when I was just 12 years old, for my first "art and writing" retreat. I was amazed at how much I actually remembered. I remembered the "artist-in-residence", we called him Mr. Trethaway, and he led us on so many adventures through these old bunkers, he called it his "secret" place. We sat on bluffs and sketched and wrote poetry. I have vivid photos in my mind of producing our silkscreen and woodcut prints in the centre teaching rooms of dorm 225. How cool is that? I felt like a ghost of my own past. Wandering, soaking up the memories, seemingly nothing has changed. It somehow seems very important that I re-visit these memories, this place.




1 comment:

Jane B. said...

Hi Sandra; I attended Journalfest too and saw your blog from the Yahoo group. What a glorious time we all had at that wonderful event! I wandered the beach every day but didn't see the bunkers - thank you for sharing the photos. I think Ft. Worden must have some magical properties that stop time and space - it's lovely to know that it hasn't changed in your intervening years. Means we can recapture time there! How cool is that...